15 February 2009

Week 7

also known as "back, by Jessica's request :)"


Week 7 might have made me a bad friend. I've been sick, not training all that consistently, and my partner Theresa has been in the same boat. Yet Saturday was the day that I decided "screw ability, I'm gonna run with the full marathoners!" You know what that means? Get up at 53o in the morning, brave the rain/snow mix, and go 13 miles. Yep. We basically did a half marathon yesterday, and I may have killed Theresa in the process. She has a knee issue, and it DID NOT like 13 miles. Not at all. We ended up walking a lot, she was having sharp pains the whole time. It took FOREVER. But we did the full 13, though there were many threats of calling various people for rides and miles 8-10 were filled with a completely random and entertaining case of the giggles on Theresa's part. I think it was her brain shutting down from the pain. It was awesome, and we were kinda crazy. Those miles were done on campus, and it's quite possible that passerby thought we were just returning home from a LONG Friday night!

I took this week as a challenge, a review point in my training. Can I make it? If I make it, how will I feel? It was the determining factor between 13.1 and 26.2 on May 3rd. And you know what? I feel good. Really really good. I did not feel good at mile 12. I wanted to die. I wanted to sit down and never get up again. But within an hour or two of being home, I felt like a normal, though sore, person. I remember how I felt after my first half marathon, and I hobbled around for 3 days after. I wore heels to dinner last night, that's how good I felt. And what that tells me, is that I can do this. If I am CONSISTENT in my training, get my miles in, and stay focused, I really think I can do it. It may not be pretty, and it WON'T be fast, but I think I can do it. My recovery time was literally hours. That tells me I could have gone harder, longer, faster. I sound like my husband, but it's true... I think I can do this.

Theresa is gonna kill me.

1 comment:

Chad and Jessica said...

YAY!!!! BIG YAY!!!! Thank you...I loved it! I love how loopy Theresa got towards the end, sometimes that's what you have to do to get through tough stuff....GET LOOPY! You are a major stud....I've never run 13 miles....I feel like a woose (sp?...woos?) now. I will one day though....hurrah. It's awesome how well your recovery went. Wow, that was a brutal Valentines morning....but then you could splurge on food all day, and not feel guilty....sweet! I'm so excited for you about it all : )