17 March 2009

My day...

Today was a long day. St Patricks Day always is, never for good reason. This year it fell on a Tuesday, also known as "the slowest day in banking." So I sat at my desk, kinda bored, knowing my vacation starts in two days, with not a lot to do. Enough that I didn't go insane, but it was a toss up sometimes :)

After work, it was off to my St Patricks Day tradition: the cemetery. Yep, that's right. The cemetery. Not exactly the norm. 6 years ago one of my high school best friends, Mary, died of a brain tumor on St Patricks Day. Every year since then, Traci and I have gone to the cemetary to see our friend. A few years ago, our old boss at the Pretzelmaker (remember those days???) passed away on the 18th, so she was added into our tradition, along with her husband who passed before her. On the way to the cemetary, we passed a terrible accident. It was kind of surreal, wondering if the people in the cars were ok and considering where we were headed.

I finally got home from my day after 7. Considering how much we have to do around the house to get ready to leave Friday, the LAST thing I wanted to do was go to the gym. Husband agreed, but at the same time, we knew we needed to go. Neither one of us wanted to be the one to make the "no go" call, so off we went. Since the last yoga class had already started, I decided I would do my training run for the day on the treadmill. Now, here's the thing. I don't typically run on a treadmill, in fact I think this is probably the 3rd time I have since deciding I wanted to be "a runner." I went for about half an hour, and I honestly really enjoyed it. But right at the half hour mark, my knees began to REALLY hurt. Specifically, the tendons and muscles directly above and below my knee joint. I've ran MUCH farther than I ran today with no knee problems in the past, so I'm wondering if it's fair to blame the treadmill? Teresa, Kim, Jess, anyone else who is a closet runner: any thoughts? Do you have treadmill experience? Are you an indoor running pro? It seems odd to me that the concrete is easier on my knees than the treadmill.....

Now I'm off to accomplish a few things around the house before bed. Thanks to my fabulous husband for making dinner (brinner really, it was delicious!) so that I could blog! Tomorrow is just as busy, but not nearly as draining... is this week over yet????

4 comments:

Karis said...

Thanks, Sean, for letting Steph get her blog on! Seriously, 3 posts yesterday, one today, could life get any better for the average reader?

Anonymous said...

I found my legs getting tired much easier when running on a treadmill. I am eluded as to why this is...

woohoo for vacations!!

Cranky said...

Typically, to simulate the normal incline of concrete, you need to have the treadmill on incline a bit, like 1%. Otherwise, it's sort of like you are running downhill (which may even make for faster times), and I suppose that's why your knees are hurting. Some coaches suggest slowing down a little on the treadmill, too.

Chad and Jessica said...

Hurrah! You're feeling better! Your new vehicle is amazing! I'm so sorry you were sick for so long....yucko! And your cruise is so soon....oh la la! As for running on the treadmill, I've heard what Cranky said before. I used to run on the treadmill a lot, and it would hurt at first....but it was mostly my calves, and then I guess I developed certain muscles that made it easier and more comfortable, because the pain went away. But, knees are more tricky, I would be really careful.