18 September 2008

"Walmart Women"

I'm a CNN addict. A huge one. I'll be on their website and watching TV at the same time, it's that bad. But I gotta say, the current broadcast is ridiculous. I'm extremely political, and we'll not get into that, but they're going on and on about how this election is going to be determined by "white, lower educated, middle aged women", aka "Walmart women." Really????

A. I am not middle aged, or lower educated, and I love Walmart, much to my husband's dismay.
B. Everyone they're interviewing has basically no opinion, they just kinda picked a candidate. One lady actually said "I was going to vote for McCain, but then he opened his mouth." WHAT??? I don't care who you decide to vote for, that's your right, but at least have a REASON for your pick! McCain has a lot of qualities his party cares about, Obama has the same for his party, please be able to tell me at least one of them that pertains to the person you are putting in charge of our country.
C. The portrail of the women in the story make them seem ignorant, which is perpetuating a Walmart stereotype. I don't particularly care for that.
D. I hope people in general, of both parties, are educated on the issues, regardless of where they shop, or who they support, or the level of "school education" that they've had. Maybe then the election will be decided by "people who care about their country." That would be awesome.

That's my rant for the day. I should go do something other than blog now :)

1 comment:

E and J said...

I really don't care what the education level of anyone is. I can say that I know many “lower education, middle aged white women” that are very intelligent and active in politics. I'm annoyed that they implied that this demographic as irresponsible or ignorant by perpetrating the negative connotation associated with Wal-Mart. In other words I totally agree with you!