16 November 2008

Thwarted...

So there I was, up early and ready to start my day. I had my list of errands to run (Jerry's, get the oil changed, etc) and then I was on my way north to visit my best friend and her fabulous baby girl. A few hours of fun girl time, and then I was to be off again, this time even further north to pick up my husband, do some fabulous shopping (HELLO Nike employee store!) and then back home....

What a great day it was going to be.....

Instead, I got up later than expected. Not good. But still ok, Oil Can Henry's and Jerry's both open at 8, and I can be there and done by 9, still on the road at a decent hour...

Oh wait. The car is out of gas.

Awesome. Head to the gas station. No worries, this only adds 5 minutes to the trip. Pull up at the Oil Can Henry's. Hello Oil Can Henry's man. What is that you're saying? You open at 9? Your website says 8. It's 9? Ok...

So I sit in the car and wait for them to open... can't just let the engine run without oil.

So now I'm waiting until 9, which means I won't be done until 915 ,and I still haven't been to Jerry's. So I decide to go to Jerry's tomorrow, not as productive as I would have liked, but that baby is waiting for me to come love her!

I say thank you to the Oil man, drive away, and realize I am starving. I will not make it an hour and a half up the freeway without sustinance. Hello Starbucks drive thru. One venti hot chocolate and a blueberry scone later, I am on my way again.

Hello giant fog bank that makes everyone go 30 miles an hour on I5. You're awesome. I will never get to CJ....

Oh look! People are driving the speed limit! I can accelerate! Well... I'm trying to accelerate... it's not working... why is my car going 40.. now 30... now 25... on I5? So I pull over. On I5. In a giant fog bank. In a grey car. This feels safe...

And now the car won't move at all... it's as if I have no clutch... this has happened before. On a high, narrow bridge, over the middle of a Great Lake, at the Canada/US border. We were stranded in Michigan for four days. With a foreign made car. In the US car capitol of the world. It took a while to find a mechanic who could fix a Mitsubishi....

So, after calling my dad to rescue me (Thanks again daddy!), and the tow truck guy to pick me up, I call CJ to tell her that I will not in fact be coming to see her. Because the universe hates me. And apparently my car. If I had known the car was going to die anyway, I wouldn't have worried about the oil change, and slept in a little bit more...

So now I will try and salvage the day, thanks to a loaner car from mom. I will pick up husband, and we will think about the fun we would have had shopping...

Did I mention my cell battery is about to die, and my charger is at work, and I have to go drive two hours up the freeway, again, with MY luck?

Today. Is. Awesome.

3 comments:

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

UGH!! and UGH!! again. You poor thing. I HATE those kind of days. Stupid universe.
Your post was hilarious!! I had to read it to my Sean and he was cracking up too. At least you can rest knowing that your writing brings a little smile to those who happen to read your blog.
Hope everything works out ok with the car and good luck tomorrow.
PS. Remind me not to ride in a car with you. Ever. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds as though the Universe really really wanted you to stay home. Hopefully your car is fixed soon!!

Chad and Jessica said...

ARG!!! Talk about the pits!!! I really don't know if it could have gone worse....lol. Well.... YOU'RE ALIVE!!! HURRAH!!! I fear the day that I have severe car trouble....I know it will happen eventually....but I'm freaked out already. Oi yoi yoi. I'
ll be stranded in freezing rain, in the middle of the night, 30 miles from an exit...I just know it!!!

I'm sorry such a wonderful day was totally ruined...you have my complete sympathy!